Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Salinas?
In a variety of ways, smart devices like surveillance systems and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We can receive alerts if a visitor arrives at our front porch, and we can even have video segments delivered to us when suspicious behavior is detected. Having components we can communicate with via the internet advises us to potential hazards instantaneously. But there is one chief drawback. The access that keeps us connected is also creating a pathway for online invasions.
While you don’t need to lay awake at night fretting over smart home hacking in Salinas, you should be aware of the potential danger and implement a plan to avoid it.
Ways To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
It would appear that practically everything is linked to the internet these days - home security equipment, televisions, and even your home appliances like ranges and coffee makers. The drawback is that this produces more opportunities for cyber criminals to break into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to forgo wireless home defense systems or other smart appliances. Instead, follow these recommendations and take steps to keep intruders off your network.
- Use hard-to-crack passwords: This is a must for all accounts, especially your wireless configuration. Use uppercase and lowercase and a blend of numbers, letters, and special characters. Avoid birthdays, anniversaries, or other options hackers might easily figure out. A password generator will supply you with something absolutely random and a password management tool may assist you in tracking your different accounts.
- Update default settings: When you first unbox that new router, it will probably come with a preset password to facilitate the setup. Adjust it immediately. Hackers may know these default passwords as well. Setting up your private network and router properly in the beginning is vital in keeping you protected.
- Consider a separate network: Why have your smart oven, your security sensors, and your home computer on one network? The majority of routers permit you to initiate a distinct guest network. Take advantage of it and shield private information found on your desktop, laptop, and phone.
- Install a firewall: Firewalls aren’t only for commercial networks. They can also be integrated with your personal network. Firewalls will keep an eye on the traffic on your network and thwart questionable activity. You could begin with a router with an incorporated firewall.
- Use the most up-to-date encryption settings and security protocols: If you own a new router, you will likely have the ability to use WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption will do the job. You should find home security components that use 128-bit or higher.
- Be certain software and firmware is up-to-date: Keep your software and firmware on the most recent version for all equipment, including your connected camera surveillance. In some cases, these updates will address vulnerabilities and tighten up your network security.
Be Cautious of Lower Quality Smart Home Equipment In Salinas
When choosing a respected company like ADT, you’ll be impressed by the fact that any security vulnerabilities in video cameras or other devices are managed in a quick and expert manner. Other knock-off options might not be quite as diligent. Purchasing your video cameras, smart thermostat, video doorbell, and additional components from a lone reputable company like ADT is a wise choice. And getting all of your systems connected at the same time will go a long way to ensuring flawless implementation, performance, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, uses two-way encryption when communicating with your smart components.
Customize Your Own Salinas Home Defense Package
Since you now have a better idea on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, It’s the right moment to start on your own home defense system in Salinas. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems will help you customize the ideal package for your family. Call (831) 205-7394 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.